Monday 5 March 2012

Prawn Crackers


Having satisfied my sweet tooth, I thought it wise to head back to the savoury dishes while my sugar levels have a chance to reduce.

Despite dreaming about trout last night, a rather disappointing trip to my local Sainsbury's (in which I found out they had discontinued the line), meant that I had to rethink my plans. After wandering the aisles for…well…far too long, I decided to go for prawns. I pictured my ingredients and after convincing my taste-buds that there was a new dream dish, I paid and head home.

A few days ago I made some Thai cupcakes, but frankly after smelling that hit of lime, I knew I'd have to make another Thai dish very soon. I bought a fresh batch of limes, coriander and ginger, and this time also bought some coconut milk, lemon grass, fish sauce and aubergine- all key and frequent Thai ingredients. To be honest, the next 40mins was free-fall, as this is not a dish that I have made or prepared myself to make, but I guess that's the fun of cooking- Que sera sera! 

I put my rice on the boil and set to work on my greens. Having also run out of Pak Choi-(I know…what's that about?!), I bought some Ung Choi, and simply washed and tossed with onions and garlic. I then began my coconut and aubergine sauce. After frying some onions with lemongrass, I added my aubergine slices, coconut milk, squeeze of lime and a few drops of fish sauce. Let this come to the boil and you're done. Now for the prawns, I bought some fresh raw prawns, but peeled and cooked prawns will be fine- just make sure they are cleaned and washed. I then coat them in ginger powder, soya sauce, fish sauce and dust with self raising flour. You then just heat a pan with oil and pan fry. The prawns need relatively no time to cook, and you will know when they are done as they turn from a translucent grey to an opaque coral pink. Take them off the heat and squeeze the juice of a lime and sprinkle with magic sesame seeds. Yes, they are magic, as the flavour they set upon the prawns is nothing short of transcendent.

Serve quick, and enjoy slowly.


No comments:

Post a Comment