Tuesday 22 May 2012

Wok this way



I have to say, I have never really been a fan of Gok Wan. At first I liked him, then I couldn't stand him, but after last night's 'Gok Cooks Chinese' (which I do not know why he didn't just call 'Wok Wan'), I'm back on team Wan! I was very scepticle about the idea at first. I mean, he first appeared on our screens in 2006, and ever since then has been dressing the nation and sporting the line "It's all about the confidence", but after seeing his confidence with the cleaver, I have no idea why he's kept this secret hidden from us for so long!

So, after 30mins of my husband badgering me to "make something Chinese tomorrow", I thought I'd finally season my new wok, and get to wok, I mean work (cheap gag, I know!)

Ingredients

1. 1 stem of spring onion
2. 1 clove garlic
3. 1 inch ginger
4. 1 stem of lemongrass
5. 1 bird chilli
6. 1/4 sweet pepper
7. 225g raw prawns- (marinaded in garlic powder and chilli powder- optional, but you need to add a tsp of self raising flour so that it does not stick to the wok)
8. 1 tbsp oyster sauce
9. 1 tbsp fish sauce
10. Handful of sesame seeds to garnish

Steps

1. Fry off the holy trinity of Chinese spices- the ginger, garlic and spring onion
2. Now add the lemongrass, chilli and pepper. Once they are brown, add the prawns
3. The prawns will not take any time at all to cook, about 3mins in total
4. Once they have turned from a transparent grey to an opaque pink, then add the oyster sauce, fish and sesame seeds.
5. Now for the crucial bit- eat as quickly as possible! These babies need a good home!

Like all takeaways, the Chinese food cooked at home is a million time more tasty and healthier for you. So next time you head to a greasy joint, head to a supermarket instead and get a decent batch of prawns. From wok to plate in under 5mins. Not bad, eh?

1 comment: