Forget Bieber, forget The Beatles, there's a new singing sensation in town: The £1 Fish Man. If you haven't heard of him, he is taking the world (or at least YouTube) by storm. He is based in Queen's Market and this guy is a legend: £1 Fish Man What can I say? I'm not much of a singer, so thought I'd pay tribute to the man in my own special way: Butterfly Mackerel with orange and lemon served with baby spinach and grilled new potatoes.
1. 1 Mackerel (split down the middle)
2. 1/2 lemon- zest and juice
3. 1/2 orange- zest and juice
4. Drizzle of olive oil
5. 8 new potatoes
6. Handful of baby spinach
1. Line a tray with foil and place you mackerel on top
2. Whisk ingredients 2-4 together and marinade the Mackerel. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Turn the Mackerel so that it's skin side up. Wrap the foil edges around, and place in the oven for 10mins at 200 degrees.
4. Slice the new potatoes, and boil. Once they are done, strain and add to the tray with the Mackerel.
5. Add a dash of salt to the potatoes and return to the oven. This time leave the foil open.
6. Now blanche the baby spinach (Boil water in a pan, once it starts to boil, turn it off and add the spinach. Leave it in the water for 1min and drain). Add a bit of salt and grate a bit of lemon zest over the top. (If I had had some feta cheese, this would have been perfect to add here too, so if you can, do!)
7. By this time your fish should be crispy on the top, and soft and flakey on the underside. (Total oven should be 20-25mins).
Now plate up and eat. Very rarely does something so simple take so many platforms of flavour and texture, but this is one. Massively tasty and undoubtedly healthy- win, win.