Monday 30 April 2012

Trading Places







Now that my tired feet are rested, and my soggy boots are dry, I thought I'd sit down with a nice cuppa Tea and tell you about the my weekend's adventure.

So, a little background. About a couple of weeks ago, the Council contacted me about participating in a new rejuvenating scheme for the South-East, called the Fortnightly Market, which would begin in Catford as the first ever local fortnightly market to "celebrate the vibrancy and diversity of markets in Lewisham". I could not wait. I have lived in S.E London all my life, and was so proud that our community would have something to champion, and that I was being asked to be a part of it. 

Now, for the fun part, deciding what to make! I set my sites on some tried and tested Love Bites- 
1. Freshly squeezed lemon and cracked mint juice
2. Spinach and pepper Bhajis
3. Chicken curry with saffron rice
4. Chick-pea curry with saffron rice
5. Choco- fudge cake

I decided that I would source all of the ingredients locally, and one trader was particularly outstanding- Tony's Butcher, who not only helped us a great deal with supplying us with a beautiful batch of fresh cut chicken, but helped to spread the word on the day itself. If you don't know him, head to the store asap- he even bought some of his customers chocolate cakes and curry boxes- that's what you call customer service!

Come the big day, despite hopelessly dreaming of a sunny day's trade, the weather was true to it's miserable form, and continuously poured from loading to closing time. However, our spirits weren't dampened (see what I did there?) and my trusted, and most beloved team of Love My Grubbers showed amazing support. I Love you guys- you know who you are! I must throw a shout out to the Event's Organiser, Deborah, who even went home to heat up some Bhajis for a very insistent customer! Who say's the Council never does anything for you? 

Despite what any weather man might say about overcast that day, the sun definitely shone on our little stall that day. Proudest moment had to be when a customer bought a bag of Bhajis, and then came back half an hour later to get some more to take home. Absolutely amazing feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad to hear it went well. I had to think of you with that awful weather! Food looks delish! I actually thought you were going to make cakes and sweet stuff, but this looks even better. Want some now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Anne! We were really keen to give people a taste of good home cooked food, and sport the Sri-Lankan, Trinidadian and Western cultures that have influenced me from my parents and the country I was born into. Next time I hope we will have even more to offers and have better weather! I cannot wait!!

    ReplyDelete