Oo ah Cantana, we've had another day of sun! I decided to head to the market this morning to grab some rays, and buy some grub. As I wandered around, I remembered one christmas party we hosted in my parents house, and a truly electric prawn dish my Uncle brought for the ride. Now, I'm certain I haven't done his recipe justice, but here's my Devilled Prawn curry. Uncle Shree, this one's in loving dedication to you!
1. 1 tsp cumin, fennel and dill seeds.
2. 1 cardamon pod
3. 1 star anise
4. 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. 250g tiger prawns
2. 1 red onion- finely sliced
3. 1 clove garlic- finely chopped
4. 2 cm root ginger- finely chopped
5. 1/2 lemon grass stem
6. Handful of coriander stems
7. 1 tbsp soya sauce
8. 1 tsp sugar
9. 1 tsp chilli powder
10. 1 tsp curry powder
11. 1 tbsp tomato puree
12. 1 tomato
13. 2 cup water
14. 1 banana pepper- or as many as you like to taste
15. 1/2 bell pepper
1. Fry all the aromatics in some oil.
2. Add the onions, garlic and ginger, lemon grass, coriander.
3. Once these have become golden, add the soya sauce, chilli and curry powder, tomato puree, tomato and water.
4. Add the sugar and banana pepper. Now cover and allow to reduce.
5. In the meantime, shall fry the prawns (you can add some seasoning if you like- oregano and garlic works a treat).
6. Once they are pink, take them off the heat and check on the sauce.
7. The sauce should take about 20mins to thicken. Once this has thickened, add the bell pepper and remove from the heat.
8. Finally add the prawns and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with rice, or naan, or whatever! Amazing. Seriously amazing!